Positano, Amalfi, Pompeii
Hey yàll
Some of you, I don't think, ever received my first email due to conflicts, but my mom has created an internet site if your bored. http://kkidsfamilyfun.blogspot.com
Well, I decided yesterday, my first full day in Italy, to go on a day trip around the Amalfi coast. The most terrifying mode of transportation yet: the bus! Apparently 1 maniac driver plus 1 maniac driver creates continuity, which then, randomly enough, creates fluidity. Try throwing an Oregonian driver in there and all hell would break loose. I bought a 24 hour bus pass and made my first stop in Positano. I'm immediately intrigued by staircases even if, like on my first day, when one led me to an RV park; it was the most beautiful RV park I had ever seen before. Again, I was intrigued in Positano and went down a staircase that went forever! Let’s just say that getting back up them was not the highlight of my day. I bummed around the water for a bit and, just so we are at an understanding, the movie “Under the
Tuscan Sun” lies. There is no beautiful sandy beach. A beautiful beach, yes, but replacing the sand with solid gravel puts us back to reality. When I got bored I jumped the bus to Amalfi.
Here, I again walked around and found the town square, which was surrounding the church of Saint Andreano. While waiting for the bus, I realized I had an Italian stalker. Oh don't worry, apparently he was my long lost lover. Ha riiiiight. I did make friends with a guy from Manchester; he is by far the coolest person I've met and now I can totally hook anyone up with a place to stay in Amalfi.
Today I went to Pompeii and saw the ruins. It was hot, and a ton of walking ensued. One doesn’t realize how out of shape they are until they can't keep up with travelers that are 50 years older than them. So far this was my favorite place to visit. It may be because it was my first actual history-related event. Tomorrow I plan to take the ferry to Capri.
Like Larry told me, there are a ton of people here from New England. When I'm bored, I fake a British accent and act like I’m part of their tour group. This email is beginning to get pretty long, so I’ll try to wrap it up. Jen should be leaving tomorrow, it'll be nice to have someone to talk to that speaks fluent Oregonian! Lets hope the meeting up part will go ok. Jen, if for some reason I get caught up in Sorrento, I will send you an email. I should make it okay.
Anyway, I will let you all go. I hope your lives are treating you well! And if not, go have a glass of wine, that oughta make you feel better. I'd love to hear what you’re all up to!!
Danielle
p.s. Its weird to hear all of the American music that they play.
American pop in conjunction with fast paced Italian talking, is very odd.
Mom, the internet site rocks. Jeremy did not receive my last email. It keeps giving me problems. I think next time I will try sending it from hotmail instead of my zagmail. Jen, I'm excited to meet up with you. It'll take me two trains and a bus to get there. About 3.5 hours of travel time, just fyi. Anyway, my hour is coming to a close. I think I'm going to grab some dinner somewhere. Sorrento is very much a resort town and the night life is extremely active. Not that I choose to be a part of it, but I can hear it extremely well from my hostel room. Alrighty, I’m copying and pasting my last email, just in case it did not send through my zagmail account. Thanks for everything!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dad, Grammy and I watched "Under the Tuscan Sun" again and laughed at the beach scene.
- Mom
Post a Comment