We left Lucca around 11am to head towards the Cinque Terre. Again we had to jump trains to get there. Hmmm....based on our rough history, this did not look good. Nonetheless, we had no choice but to tackle the challenge straight on. Two unnecessarily bought tickets, a lot of questions, and 6 hours later, we finally arrived in Riamaggiore (the First of the Five cities in Cinque Terre). Here we befriended a group from Australia. They are, quite honestly, a kick in the pants. We bonded over our frustrations with the trains and our knack for messing up. Then, one of the ladies disappeared when the train finally came. All of us jumped on except for her husband who was waiting for her. The doors closed and there she came up the stairs with ice cream in her hands. An hour of waiting and they missed the train because the wife went to buy ice cream for everyone. Let’s just say the husband wasn't very happy, but Jen and I on the other hand couldn't help but to laugh at them. Vernazza, 4th of the 5 cities, is absolutely beautiful. We decided to spend our day splitting a bottle of wine on the rocks. This whole open container thing freaks me out, but when Jen bought the bottle of wine the guy was already opening it for her and handing her dixie cups. Italy Rocks! I got another watercolor done that night. However, it got so dark that I couldn't see what colors I was grabbing; let’s just say, its a very interesting image. I'm sure the wine helped ;)
Me doing a watercolor in Vernazza
Today was an extremely exciting day! This was the day that we were to hike the Cinque Terre. We got up and took a train to the 5th city where we decided to start. From here we set out on our trek. The trail was extremely interesting, to say the least. It was a good thing that we started with the hardest section first because I don't think we would have made the entire 7 mile hike otherwise. That's right 7 miles. Hard to fathom? Oh I know, let me say it again: seven miles! And I swear it was uphill the entire way! It was a beautiful trail and tons of fun for the first 1-2 cities. From there we hit the heat of the day, which pushed us over the edge. We ate gelato when we could, but even gelato wasn't helping the motivation factor. A guy behind us pretty much summed it up when he said, “What'd you do today?” ‘Oh, I climbed a FRICKEN MOUNTAIN!' It was definitely a good 5 hour hike. I made a choice to take the boat back to Vernazza. It was one of the worst decisions I have made the entire trip. The water was so rough that it, again, had Jen and I dying to get out due to the urge to puke. We crashed in our room for a bit, dying to take a shower but both too fried, weak, and now seasick. I try to take a shower, but the widest the doors will open is still not enough for any natural human body to fit into. Nice. Just what I needed. Let’s just say everything was very awkward. Now we are shopping and having fun buying stuff that is local to the Cinque Terre. Until Jen makes the comment, “Can we run this stuff back to our room?” Sounds easy until you remember that it’s another 100 stairs to get there. Bright idea after a 7 mile hike uphill! lol Welp, that’s all for now. I've definitely earned my dinner tonight and I’m more than ready to eat it! Florence is next, with a Venice finish. Hope everyone is well and having a blast! Peace.
- D
Showing the narrowed path of the 7 mile hike
No comments:
Post a Comment